Re: [Xen-users] Resize DomU partition

KC LO wrote:

Thanks for your reply!
However, I got the following errors on the first command

e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/VolGroup00/vm3

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

I guess that the file system is ext3 which got this problem.  Any hints?

The command isn't appropriate for your setup. /dev/VolGroup00/vm3 does not contain a single filesystem, it has been partitioned in your DomU. Just FYI - Ext3 and Ext2 are essentially the same filesystem and most of the tools are the same - Ext3 just adds journalling.

You need to connect the block device to your Dom0, Fajar gives the command as "xm block-attach 0 ...". As I read the man page, I think the command would be "xm block-attach 0 /dev/VolGroup00/vm3 /dev/hde W" to connect it as device hde.

Once you've attached it, then you can work with the partitions in it - eg "fsck /dev/hde1" to check the filesystem in the first partition.

I'm not sure if any of the common partitioners are capable of relocating a partition, but for the standard fdisk you'll need to mount the filesystems, copy the files elsewhere, then use fdisk to delete the partitions and create new ones of the size you want (this WILL destroy all the data in them), create new filesystems and mount them, and copy the file back again.

There's a lot to be said for using LVM and creating an lv per filesystem. With that setup, you can resize a filesystem by :
- shutdown the DomU
- fsck -f <lv path>
- resize2fs <lv path>
- startup DomU

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the printer OS on it. This is NOT the same thing as the printer drivers to load on the computer - there's no problem there. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of support for years. Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image their hard disk ...