Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.4.2 on kernel 2.6.32.8 on Lenny

To: Dot Yet <dot.yet@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.4.2 on kernel 2.6.32.8 on Lenny
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:53:17 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 01:54:08 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:12:32PM -0500, Dot Yet wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am trying to compile Xen 3.4.2 on kernel 2.6.32.8 on Debian 5.
>
> Seems I am missing something simple here, and seek your help.
>
> I downloaded the kernel source from kernel.org and xen's source from xen.org
>
> Compiled kernel in its own directory, included 'XEN' and/or 'PARAVIRT'
> related options in the .config file and built bzImage and modules. It
> compiles fine with no errors.
>
> Then, compiled xen's source. That downloaded kernel 2.6.18 from
> mercurial, and built happened successfully. Next, I installed this xen
> build and rebooted the node. So far so good. Then, I installed the
> newly built kernel 2.6.32.8 and pointed xen to that kernal, thinking
> that it should come back with the new kernel after the reboot. Turns
> out that is not the case. It did not boot correctly and did not show
> any messages on the console too.
>
> Now, I am a bit confused about if my approach was in the right
> direction or not.
>
> All I want to do is to run recent Xen (3.4.2) with the recent kernel
> (2.6.32.x).
>
> Can you please point me in the right direction?

Upstream Linux 2.6.32.8 kernel from kernel.org doesn't support
running as Xen dom0. It only supports running as Xen domU (guest).

You need to get the 2.6.31.6 kernel from Jeremy's git tree (xen/master branch),
it has dom0 support included.

xen/next branch has 2.6.32 kernel.

See:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps