Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.4.2 on kernel 2.6.32.8 on Lenny

Dot Yet wrote:

Compiled kernel in its own directory, included 'XEN' and/or 'PARAVIRT'
related options in the .config file and built bzImage and modules. It
compiles fine with no errors.

Then, compiled xen's source. That downloaded kernel 2.6.18 from
mercurial, and built happened successfully. Next, I installed this xen
build and rebooted the node. So far so good. Then, I installed the
newly built kernel 2.6.32.8 and pointed xen to that kernal, thinking
that it should come back with the new kernel after the reboot. Turns
out that is not the case. It did not boot correctly and did not show
any messages on the console too.

I've never got past the stage of using pre-packaged kernels, so this could be a bit "blind leading the blind" here ...

Did you compile in all the modules you need, or if not, did you create an initrd to go with the new config ?
Did you update the bootloader ?
Does it show anything at all when you try and boot ?

In my (very limited) experience, you should get some output as the bootloader loads Xen and runs it - Xen should log what it's doing. If the kernel is bad then things will stop after Xen loads. If the kernel is OK, but there is no initrd (or it's bad) then the kernel will try and load but will halt at some point when it's unable to do something important.

If you're getting absolutely nothing at all, then that suggests either a bootloader problem or a bad Xen imgae to me.

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of support for years. Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image their hard disk ...