Re: [Xen-users] frustrated with build problems

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dana Rawding <dana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] frustrated with build problems
From: Boris Derzhavets <bderzhavets@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:08:26 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:09:14 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1265825306; bh=KtLbF9gZ0KgLWAiC9L1+aMYnl/a++bNLPqLz0prkI5Q=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=MVfx0tQ5I2PtIYNrxjVpkB52ggW7smPGqvKjlLAc4r+d70UvJw6p/N+k1RAZ3WJMnNPOEi9bi8MZlDU0x9Vg4CyrMgoceZOaNDK/911jWLGXd/ZjExLGV7OcjHvDApa1vYtIgEvtzFoE02lLYESnh7fyDTDyb4p0SK5uj9meh6s=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I started by downloading the source from xen.org and compiling on my
> Ubuntu
Xen dev server.  This went surprisingly well.  However when I put >the new kernel in grub it will not boot as it can't find the root.  I set >root=/dev/cciss/c0p01 which should have worked.  I tried by UUID, >root=UUID=9da5323b-e47c-4367-bed0-2d2b53ba5a45 and still no joy

Regarding root=/dev/cciss/c0p01 does it match "df -h" reported path to "/" .
If yes, i would try to build kernel with built-in static command line
 root=/dev/cciss/c0p01 ro console=tty0 ( not to pass them via grub2 entry)
If no what reports "df -h" ?

What kernel to support Xen in Dom0 you try to build on Ubuntu 9.10 Server ?

Xen 3.4.3 setup with 2.6.31.9(8) xenified aka Suse kernel as well as 2.6.31.6 pvops kernel on Ubuntu 9.10 Server works for me on SATA drives:-

http://www.fsdaily.com/HighEnd/Set_up_OSOL_PV_Guests_build_131_via_virsh_on_Xen_3_4_3_Dom0_on_top_of_Ubuntu_9_10_Server

Boris.