Re: [Xen-users] Questions on qcow, qcow2 versus LVM

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Matthew Law <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, January 4, 2010 12:37 pm, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> udev should create the partition block device file (i.e /dev/xvda1) as
>> necessary. Try doing "fdisk -l" and "ls -la /dev/xvda1".
>> If that doesn't work, you could always try mapping it as hda/sda
>> instead of xvda. It should work with 2.6.18 kernel.
>
> fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/xvda: 42.9 GB, 42949672960 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5221 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x00000000
>
> Disk /dev/xvda doesn't contain a valid partition table
>
> Here are the exact commands I ran to create and partition the LV, based on
> your previous suggestions:
>
> lvcreate -C y -L 40G -n testvm VolGroupVM
> echo \"1,,L,*\" | sfdisk /dev/VolGroupVM/testvm
> mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/VolGroupVM-testvm
>
> Have I missed something?

That's wrong :)
The commands to sfdisk were intended to automatically create one
partition table, where you can use kpartx later. Basically it replace
parted with sfdisk. Instead, you do mkfs on /dev/VolGroupVM/testvm
directly?

You got two choices:
(1) mkfs directly on /dev/VolGroupVM/testvm.
In this scenario you won't need kpartx or sfdisk. It'd be better if
you assign the LV directly as xvda1 (or hda1/sda1) instead of what you
did now (assign it as xvda).

(2) back to your original setup, replacing parted with sfdisk.
In this case the sfdisk command line becames

echo "1,,L,*" | sfdisk /dev/VolGroupVM/testvm

Note how I didn't escape the quote. verify that the partition table
gets created correctly afterwards (see my previous mail), then you
stilll need to do kpartx like you did in your original script.

--
Fajar