Re: [Xen-users] Java JVM and memory on Xen

To: Rob Shepherd <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Java JVM and memory on Xen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:51:58 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 06:52:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:52:34PM +0000, Rob Shepherd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem here.
>
> My Java Virtual Machine crashes on a DomU when mem-set is 1792 MB but is
> stable when mem-set has been called with 1791 MB
>
> This happens running JBoss, and is an actual libjvm.so Segfault. It
> doesn't report anything about memory etc.
>
> Running:
> very recent quad core Xeon 2Ghz,
> Xen 3.1 from OpenSolaris 09/06
> OpenSolaris 09/06 Dom0
> Ubuntu 8.04 with 2.6.24-25-xen kernel image
> JVMs (any... 1.5.0 - 1.7, either openjdk or sun)
>
> I finally tracked down the crash to that single 1MB adjustment of RAM.
>
> although the JVM is only configured to use 512MB of RAM MAX (-Xmx512m)
>
> This is very bizarre.  Has anybody seen behaviour before, or have any
> comments about why it may be happening?
>
> One thought.... Java requires contiguous memory which I believe Xen does
> not provide to the guest.
> I would have thought however that the addressable memory space that an
> application sees can be mapped to appear contiguous?
>
> Thanks for any input, or suggestions

Does domU kernel dmesg have errors?

How does the domU kernel memory layout change when you switch between
1791 and 1792 MB of RAM? (it's in the beginning of dmesg / domU kernel
boot messages).

Have you tried any other domU kernels? Ubuntu 2.6.24 kernel is known to
be buggy..

-- Pasi