Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Max. PV and HVM Guests

To: "Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx>, "Pasi Kärkkäinen" <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Max. PV and HVM Guests
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 08:06:54 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Dunkley <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 07:08:04 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> On 2009/11/09 at 05:05, Pasi Kärkkäinen<pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 08:01:00PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang
Enming)
> wrote:
>>    No, I didn't limit dom0 memory in grub.conf.
>>

> You should.

Really?  I thought current conventional wisdom was to allow Xen to
self-manage memory in both dom0 and domUs, and not to manually adjust
this?  I run several Xen systems with anywhere from 8 to 24 GB of RAM
and 20 to 30 domUs on some of these systems and have *never* specified
the dom0 memory at boot time - the Xen ballooning has always functioned
perfectly fine, and never crashed my dom0.  Furthermore, while I'm not
Linux developer and so not familiar with how Linux calculates buffering
and caching, I do know that my Linux systems dynamically manage buffers
and caches, and when memory is reduced or some application requires a
larger amount of physical memory, Linux reduces the amount of data in
buffers and caches.

Of course, a lot of this depends on what you're doing in dom0 - on my
Xen servers, my dom0 is strictly for Xen management - I'm not running
anything else in dom0 that would require large amounts of memory, memory
buffers and caches, etc.

-Nick

> If dom0 has all the memory at boot time, you need to balloon down
dom0
> memory every time you create a new guest - this can (and will) cause

> problems with the dom0 linux kernel.
>
> Linux calculates some internal parameters/buffers/values based on
the
> _boot time_ amount of memory. And when the amount of memory goes down
> only a small fraction of that while creating new guests bad things
can
> happen..
>
> It still shouldn't crash though.. I bet your problem will get fixed
when
> you limit the dom0 memory to say dom0_mem=512M and reboot.
>
> -- Pasi
>
>>    Here's my xm info output after I have shutdown all the virtual
machines.

>>    [root@fedora11-x86-64-host ~]# xm list
>>    Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs
State
>>    Time(s)
>>    Domain-0                                     0  2812     2
r-----
>>    3242.5
>>    [root@fedora11-x86-64-host ~]# xm info
>>    host                   : fedora11-x86-64-host
>>    release                : 2.6.30-rc3-enming.teo-tip
>>    version                : #1 SMP Wed Aug 19 23:14:15 SGT 2009
>>    machine                : x86_64
>>    nr_cpus                : 2
>>    nr_nodes               : 1
>>    cores_per_socket       : 2
>>    threads_per_core       : 1
>>    cpu_mhz                : 2800
>>    hw_caps                :

bfebfbff:20100800:00000000:00000140:0400e3bd:00000000:00000001:00000000
>>    virt_caps              : hvm hvm_directio
>>    total_memory           : 6039
>>    free_memory            : 3124
>>    node_to_cpu            : node0:0-1
>>    node_to_memory         : node0:3124
>>    xen_major              : 3
>>    xen_minor              : 5
>>    xen_extra              : -unstable
>>    xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p
hvm-3.0-x86_32
>>    hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
>>    xen_scheduler          : credit
>>    xen_pagesize           : 4096
>>    platform_params        : virt_start=0xffff800000000000
>>    xen_changeset          : Tue Sep 01 11:34:31 2009 +0100
> 20143:a7de5bd776ca
>>    xen_commandline        : iommu=1
>>    cc_compiler            : gcc version 4.4.1 20090725 (Red Hat
4.4.1-2)
>>    (GCC)
>>    cc_compile_by          : root
>>    cc_compile_domain      : (none)
>>    cc_compile_date        : Thu Sep 10 07:01:13 SGT 2009
>>    xend_config_format     : 4
>>
>>    --
>>    Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics)
BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
[1]http://teo-en-ming-aka-zhang-enming.blogspot.com
>>    My Secondary Blog: [2]http://enmingteo.wordpress.com
>>    My Youtube videos: [3]http://www.youtube.com/user/enmingteo
>>    Email: [4]space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx
>>    Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618
>>    Street: Bedok Reservoir Road
>>    Country: Singapore
>>
>>    On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[5]pasik@xxxxxx>
wrote:

>>      On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 06:52:37PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming
(Zhang
> Enming)
>>      wrote:
>>      >    Hi,
>>      >
>>      >    Please watch this 4-minute video at
>>      >    [1][6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbLaPpwNAx4
>>      >
>>      >    I have only started 3 HVM Linux guests with 1 GB ram each.
I can't
>>      start
>>      >    the 4th HVM guest. If I attempt to start the 4th instance,
it will
>>      crash
>>      >    dom0.
>>      >
>>      >    Are there anything in the xm dmesg output that could
explain the
>>      low limit
>>      >    to the number of VMs that I could start before dom0
becomes
>>      unresponsive?
>>      >

>>      Have you limited dom0 memory (by specifying dom0_mem=XMB option
in
>>      grub.conf for xen.gz) ?
>>
>>      What does "xm info" say about free memory before starting any
guests?
>>      -- Pasi
>>
>> References
>>
>>    Visible links
>>    1. http://teo-en-ming-aka-zhang-enming.blogspot.com/
>>    2. http://enmingteo.wordpress.com/
>>    3. http://www.youtube.com/user/enmingteo
>>    4. mailto:space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx
>>    5. mailto:pasik@xxxxxx
>>    6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbLaPpwNAx4

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.