[Xen-users] Problem using Tivoli Provisioning Manager for OS deployment

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Problem using Tivoli Provisioning Manager for OS deployment on XEN VMs
From: Marc Vuilleumier Stueckelberg <VUI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 14:45:26 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 05:46:21 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

We are currently testing the compatibility of our software with XEN guests and seem to have hit a limitation of the virtualization kernel of XEN.

In order to orchestrate the automated provisioning operations, our software uses a small proprietary protected-mode kernel that takes control at every boot to dispatch between the various actions to perform during an OS install. Our code uses task gates for task switching, and in particular call to task gates. In response to a call to a task gate, the CPU is supposed to setup the back link of the target task to point to the calling task, and whenever an IRET is hit with the NT flag set, the CPU should return back to the previous task. I know this is not the method used for task switching in mainstream OSes, but it is nevertheless supposed to work according to the specs. VMWare and Hyper-V handle that properly, and more recently KVM supports that as well.

Is there already a patch available to apply to XEN to fix this issue ?

Marc