Re: [Xen-users] Debian domU installation problem: Invalid kernel

To: Boris Quiroz <boris.quiroz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Debian domU installation problem: Invalid kernel
From: Andrey <basketboy@xxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:48:45 +0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 06:49:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Boris Quiroz пишет:
Andrey wrote:
Boris Quiroz пишет:
Andrey wrote:
Hi,

My configuration is the following:

Xen 3.3.1 compiled from sources(with PAE enabled)
Dom0 Debian Etch i386

I'm trying to create Debian domU from scratch with netinst and get the kernel and ram disk to boot to installation procedure from install.386/ folder of netinst iso image. Then I use the following config file debian.cfg for installation:

kernel      = '/xen/kernel/install/vmlinuz'
ramdisk     = '/xen/kernel/install/initrd.gz'

memory      = '1024'

root        = '/dev/xvda1 ro'
disk        = [ 'tap:aio:/xen/domains/debian/debian.img,xvda,w']

name        = 'debian'
vif         = [ '' ]
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vncunused=1' ]

on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

After running 'xm create /etc/xen/domu/install/debian' I get the error:

Using config file "/etc/xen/domu/install/debian".
Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'elf_xen_note_check: ERROR: Will only load images built for the generic loader or Linux images')

What is the problem? Xen can't recognize Debian kernel from netinst iso?

Also I've noted that there was a such problem with installing Fedora 11 in domU. It's netinst ISO have 2 versions of kernels non-PAE and PAE. In the case of non-PAE kernel I got the same error. With PAE boot kernel everything works fine.

I know that I can use xen-tools for creating domU but I want to try this method.

Thanks.

Hi Andrey,

I guess your vmlinuz and initrd.gz were downloaded from /xen's debian mirror, from somewhere like [1]. Also, take a look at .cfg file in that URL. It has some specific variables needed for debian.

1. http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/netboot/xen/

I copied them from downloaded debian-503-i386-netinst.iso in install.386 folder. Should I try vmlinuz and initrd.gz from your link?

Yes, you should :)
Great! It works. Thank you very much for you help.