[Xen-users] Installing two versions of xen on the same machine

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Installing two versions of xen on the same machine
From: shankha <shankhabanerjee@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:53:31 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:54:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I wanted to use Xen on my Suse box so i installed it from yast. It's
3.3. Now i have installed another version of Xen 3.4. I want it to
install it form source. I followed the usual steps. make world.

I did not do make install as it would have overwritten some files of
my previous installation.

I wanted to know if there is a cleaner way to do it. Meaning not
copying everything to /boot but having it on my local directory itself
and somehow in the grub mention the vmlinuz and other files to be
picked up from local directory and not  to be picked up from /boot.

Is this allowed or i can only have one version of xen running on my system.

After copying everything correctly i ran into a problem.

1)When i try to build a initrd image using mkinitrd
it says it is not able to find the map file.
I use the following command
mkinitrd  -M map system.map-2.6.18-8-xen -v -f initrd-2.6.18.8-xen 2.6.18.8-xen

Kernel image :    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8-xen
Initrd image:      /boot/nitrd-2.6.18.8-xen
Kernel Modules:  <not avaliable>
Could not find map System.map-2.6.18.8-xen/boot/System.map. Please
specify a correct file with -M.

I created the file under the above mentioned path and renamed my
system file to System.map as asked. It still throws up the same error.
Could you let me know what could be the issue ?

Have i not correctly copied kernel modules. I have copied the
lib/modules/kernel-version from my local installation to /lib/modules.

thanks
shankha