Re: [Xen-users] Re: [quagga-users 10973] Quagga on Xen - Latency / Bandw

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: [quagga-users 10973] Quagga on Xen - Latency / Bandwidth?
From: Alexis Rosen <alexis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:29:14 -0400
Cc: Quagga-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robert Dunkley <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 05:30:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Jul 29, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 04:52:47AM -0400, Alexis Rosen wrote:
On Jul 29, 2009, at 4:04 AM, Robert Dunkley wrote:
I was wondering if anyone is running Quagga on Xen? What is
throughput/latency like?

Was looking for about a gig of mixed packet size BGP throughput.

Presumably you mean internet traffic. [...]

Here's some recent thread on lkml about linux 10 gbit routing performance:
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/70e62d8a85cd3241

"We also achieved nearly 80 Gbps in bidirectional TCP tests (40 Gbps
simultaneously in each direction):"

But that was on baremetal.

For a real-world internet connection, that kind of throughput is irrelevantly large. The more interesting question is how many PPS you can handle.

The good news for Robert is that 80gbps at 1500B/packet is over 7mpps, which is way more than you need for 1gbps at 64B/packet (about 2mpps). So apparently recent kernels have made gigantic advances here.

/a