RE: [Xen-users] Xen 4.0 feature request

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen 4.0 feature request
From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 09:51:30 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:52:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Enrico,

Why can't you save only one VM with LVM snapshots?  Sounds like you have an odd
implementation, rather that there being a problem with LVM.  We export two LVs
per domU - 1 'data' and 1 'swap'.  I can easily snapshot the 'data' LV of any
single domU without a performance problem.

LVM snapshots are exactly what you're looking for.  However, for real backups,
I always recommend that you start with an 'inside' approach, and treat the domU
like any other server.

In my experience, buying solely into the 'snapshot as a backup' idea is a one
way ticket to lost data.

Best Regards
Nathan Eisenberg
Sr. Systems Administrator