Re: [Xen-users] disk image corruption

To: "Justin Tianen" <jtianen@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] disk image corruption
From: "Eljas Alakulppi" <Buzer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 00:52:41 +0300
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 May 2009 14:54:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 30 May 2009 00:37:36 +0300, Justin Tianen <jtianen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My problem is that 2 of my 3 machines will, at random, remount their root partition as read-only. I am able to console in and reboot the machine. On boot, the machine requires a manual fsck. After the fsck completes, I reboot and the vm is fine for a few days. Then, randomly again, the drive remounts read-only. This happens on the 2nd and 3rd machine I created in dom0. The 1st machine has been fine since install.

Have you checked the dmesg for additional details when it happens? I have seen similar thing before (not with Xen tho) and the cause was read/write timeout due to too high I/O usage since multiple backups were running at the same time and the backend storage couldn't handle it fast enough.

So if you already didn't, you should set the rsync jobs to perform at different times (also check when some other I/O intensive tasks like updatedb are ran and plan the times so they at least try to avoid running at the same time). You could also try to incrase the timeout values.

-Eljas