[Xen-users] disk image corruption

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] disk image corruption
From: "Justin Tianen" <jtianen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 16:37:36 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 May 2009 14:38:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I’m running Xen 3.0.3 on a CentOS 5.3 x86 (32-bit) platform. Total system memory is 4GB with 4GB swap. Hard drive is approx 575GB available for root partition. I’ve created 3 Xen virtual machines all also running CentOS 5.3. The images are all using the default CentOS 5.3 LVM partitioning assignment and are allocated 150GB of disk space and max RAM is 1250. The kernel (on both dom0 AND the machines) used reports “2.6.18-128.1.6.el5xen #1 SMP i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux”. Each virtual machine performs a nightly rsync from another primary server. All drives are formatted as ext3 (dom0 and machines). The disk images are stored under /vm with permissions 755 and ownership root:root and are saved in .img format. No special setup/configuration was taken for the Xen installation.

My problem is that 2 of my 3 machines will, at random, remount their root partition as read-only. I am able to console in and reboot the machine. On boot, the machine requires a manual fsck. After the fsck completes, I reboot and the vm is fine for a few days. Then, randomly again, the drive remounts read-only. This happens on the 2nd and 3rd machine I created in dom0. The 1st machine has been fine since install.

Has anyone seen this happen before? I came across a thread from 2007 that died out with a suggestion that it may be the hardware of dom0 but no other suggestions (I’d hate for it to be hardware since the server is new).

Justin T.