Re: [Xen-users] Xen on (Open)solaris compared to Linux

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen on (Open)solaris compared to Linux
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:48:26 +0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 May 2009 21:49:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Jeff Williams <jeffw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is possibly mostly a question for Fajar since I believe he has done
> some work with performance on Solaris and Xen.

You should ask on xen-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Some of the Sun
engineers have been very helpful.

> As they are now, how do these
> compare? I am most interested in IO performance as I would be interested in
> Solaris for crossbow and zfs.

When tested using dd, zfs/opensolaris has much lower performance (21.2
MB/s) compared to ext3/RHEL5 (74.7 MB/s) on the same server spec. Then
again this server (or to be accurate, the onboard HP smart array
controller) is not officially supported yet on Opensolaris (I use HP's
driver for Solaris10) so your milage may vary.

Crossbow had some problems with vlans and Xen, but the latest release
(snv_111a) worked as expected.

> Is anyone running off Solaris in production?

I'm using it for for dev/testing only so far (since snv_98). Still
waiting for the new production servers to arrive.

> Any gotchas to be aware of?

Start here : https://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=355579

The only remaining problem for me is
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6781924 , but the
workaround for that is easy. I use rtc_timeoffset (for HVM domU) or
run ntp on domU with /proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock=1 (for PV
domU).

Regards,

Fajar