[Xen-users] Re: GPLPV 0.10.55 net misbehaviour

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: GPLPV 0.10.55 net misbehaviour
From: Klaus Steinberger <klaus.steinberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 07:52:46 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 May 2009 22:53:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> After reboot, the new LAN device is configured for DHCP, which isn't
> good for me so I assign IP address, gw and DNS. When clicking OK, I'm
> warned about a duplicate IP address (from the dormant RTL8139, as
> expected). I accept the duplicity and then the taskbar interface icon
> as well as the status dialog shows "aquiring network address" for ever,
> the NIC properties dialog stops to respond, the interface won't come up.
> After rebooting the VM another time, network seems to work correctly.

> Is gplpv supposed to work like that? I wonder if the XP fix applies to

This has nothing to do with GPLPV. Just Windows that doesn't like two network devices configured with the same static IP Address, even when disabled.

I run into the same trouble, but on reboot windows even didn't accept the address for the GPLPV device and came up without working network, that killed a Terminalserver Install for me.

So do the following:

Reboot with "nogplpv" and switch the RTL device to "DHCP", then reboot with gplpv and assign the static address to the xennet device. Otherwise you always will run into deep trouble.

Sincerly,
Klaus