Re: OT: Re: [Xen-users] Re: multiple iscsi targets on bonding interface

To: Jeff Williams <jeffw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [Xen-users] Re: multiple iscsi targets on bonding interface
From: Christopher Chen <muffaleta@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 22:22:28 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 May 2009 22:23:13 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=4pUD+IgPtmoXEPA6kFOnG7x7GWnr/FGGL9GX25ZSg9M=; b=Kq5k/kM/ao+/njqQyukUj20oSVUVPl7U7K70feu0Svo6pe1vwy3q/YuXJXchCQz+Gp kiwCFVxNGBEVxTI3dQWqgFDAkqV+jj02p/gcMCh2mAHEEopnXDgAVJoKili03spoVjUp bqrIRFINZkRfjNtTT9TH/kNF11CjAqXiqSEtw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My first stab about it involved setting up cLVM across a Centos/RH
Cluster with rgmanager handling the DomU provisioning. It all works,
but that means LVM gets put in the sandwich at least three times--a
bit much.

My idea for next time is to use dm-multipath on the Dom0 that uses
friendly names associated with scsiSN set on IET on the
target--namely, I provision a lun on the target, give it a unique
scsiSN, then with dm-multipath friendly name mapping, I associate that
scsiSN with, for instance, /dev/mpath/target.guest.root for whatever
you want, that way I can refer to the friendly names in my DomU
configs and all I have to do is manage a single list that gets
propagated via cfengine or whatever.

My 2c.

cc

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Jeff Williams <jeffw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/04/09 23:16, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>>
>> Don't confuse the different layers.  Each of our PV domUs are backed
>> by independent iSCSI targets, to make independent live migration of
>> domUs possible.  Each domU sees its assigned target as virtual disk
>> /dev/xvda, and has no idea whatsoever that it is an iSCSI target in
>> reality.  Then each domU uses this virtual disk as it wants: some
>> partition it, some use it as an LVM physical volume, some put a
>> filesystem straight on it.  iSCSI is absolutely out of the picture
>> here, with the exception of the iSCSI rooted domUs, which, on the
>> other hand, have no disk devices assigned to them by Xen: they are
>> (virtual) "diskless"; the Xen host doesn't know they mount iSCSI
>> devices as their roots from initramfs.
>>

> Ferenc,
>
> Just out of interest, do have any problems managing all of those iSCSI
> targets across all of your Xen dom0s? I would imagine you'd end up with a
> very large number of /dev/sd* devices on all of the dom0s?
>
> Regards,
> Jeff

Chris Chen <muffaleta@xxxxxxxxx>
"I want the kind of six pack you can't drink."
-- Micah