Re: [Xen-users] live migration with GFS?

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Kevin McKeon <kevin.w.mckeon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks - Do I need to setup clustering between my DomU's as well?

No.

> I'm not
> looking to take advantage of any of the clustering features (like failover
> of services) I simply want a GFS filesystem to be shared so I can do manual
> live migrations.

If you have a SAN, why not simply assign a LUN for each domU, and
allow both dom0 to access it? Raw devices generally provides MUCH
better performance compared to file-backed storage. Plus, cluster file
system (like GFS) generally have lower performance compared to
non-cluster file system (like ext3), so putting domU images on GFS
would lower its performance even more.

An exception is if you have high-performance NAS (like highend Netapp
box), or you're absolutely sure that domU will only need low disk I/O
troughput. In this scenario using file-backed images on top of NFS
from a NAS would be easier.

Regards,

Fajar