Re: [Xen-users] question about Xen DOMU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] question about Xen DOMU
From: Tanuj Bansal <bansal.tanuj83@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:41:45 +0530
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 07:12:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It does not matter whether you have xen kernel or simple on DomU. If it is DomU then you have /proc/xen/

cat /proc/xen/balloon
Current allocation:   307200 kB
Requested target:     307200 kB
Low-mem balloon:        8192 kB
High-mem balloon:          0 kB
Driver pages:            152 kB
Xen hard limit:          ??? kB

 ls  /proc/xen/
balloon  capabilities  privcmd  xenbus

Tanuj

On many modern distributions the xen0 and xenU kernels are exactly the same, so a dom0 and a domU will display similar uname information.  However, as you say, there are other ways to tell, like device names (although, those can be set to almost anything you like), dmesg output, proc info, etc.

-Nick

>>> On 2009/04/01 at 08:34, "Ferreira, N. L. (Nuno)" <n.l.ferreira@xxxxx> wrote:

Hi Mark

A "uname -a" indicates that your are running a xen domU, if it is a PV
domU. A "ls /boot" would indicate the same. Of course you could change
the name of the kernel. In a HVM domU probably you do not need since you
are using a kernel without modifications
.
A "more /etc/fstab" can also indicate that the devices being used are
xenified (depends on your configuration). I for example, use /dev/xvda1
as my partition, to not forget that its a Xen box ;-)

Probably there are other ways to check it ...
Cheers,
N.

Mark Ryden wrote:
> Hello,
>   A newbie question about Xen DOMU:
>
> I have a Linux Fedora running in a Xen DOMU. Is it possible for somebody
> accessing this DOMU from outside (ssh) to know that it is not
> a real machine but a DOMU of Xen (by something like uname,etc)? In
> case it is possible
> I would appreciate if anybody can tell how.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Nuno Ricardo Santos Loureiro da Silva Ferreira

NMR Spectroscopy Research Group
Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research
Utrecht University
Bloembergen gebouw
Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht
The Netherlands

P: +31.(0)30.253 9932
F: +31.(0)30.253 2652
E: n.l.ferreira@xxxxx
W: http://nmr.chem.uu.nl

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.