Re: [Xen-users] virtualization on top of Red Hat cluster

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] virtualization on top of Red Hat cluster
From: "Ricardo J. Barberis" <ricardo.barberis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:17:33 -0200
Cc: Geoffrey <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:18:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
El Viernes 23 Enero 2009, Geoffrey escribió:
> We would like to find out if there are other folks attempting to do what
> we are trying to do.  We are having all kinds of problems.
>
> We are trying to set up an 8 node cluster and run a number of virtual
> machines on top of this cluster.  The boxes are running Red Hat 5 and we
> are using Xen.
>
> Before going into the actual issues we are running into, I thought we
> should first find out if there are others who are doing this, or
> attempting to do this.
>
> This includes a separate virtual server for the following services:
> squid, ldap, mail server, dns, samba, email and a handful of
> Xservers/application servers.
>
> The specific hardware includes:
>
> 8 Dell 19150 nodes w/ rh5.2 xen
> Each node has 32GB of ram and 8 cores (xeon 2.66)
>
> EMC San CX-310
> 2 Brocade 5000 fibre switches
>
> Any feedback from anyone attempting or currently running a similar
> solution (virtualization on top of cluster) would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I'm working on a similar setup:
3 node cluster with a couple of HP DL360's + a Sun Fire X4100 M2 + Sun
StorageTek 6140 + 2 Brocade switches.

All of the nodes run CentOS 5.2 + Xen 3.3.0 from Gitco repos.

Xen and the cluster are working fine, except for a couple of things:

- Windows VMs with GPLPV drivers don't migrate (live or otherwise)
- I'm using ILO / IPMI fencing, suboptimal at best
- For some reason, luci (running on a seperate machine) didn't detect my hosts
as xen enabled, so I had to hack luci

(luci is RedHat Cluster suite's web GUI for administering the cluster)

What is exactly your problem?
And feel free to contact me off-list if it's off-topic :)

Best regards,
--
Ricardo J. Barberis
Senior SysAdmin - I+D