[Xen-users] Clone self-contained domU's

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Clone self-contained domU's
From: "Ferreira, N. L. (Nuno)" <n.l.ferreira@xxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:52:32 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 06:53:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear *, again

My goal:
install a PV self-contained guest (i.e. kernel on domU with guest config file using pygrub as bootloader) inside LVM logical volumes on dom0, and use it as a pristine template for other VM's

What I did till now, just for reference (LVM already in place as well as needed LV's) : domU installation 1 - virt-install -n vm1 --nographics -p -f /dev/vgxen/vm1 -l http://..... -r 1024
2 - xm create -c vm1 [runs ok]

   domU tweekings (with Fajar's help)
1 - xm shutdown vm1
2 - kpartx -av /dev/vgxen/vm1
3 - mount /dev/mapper/vm1p1 /mnt/vgxen/vm1
4 - cd /mnt/vgxen/vm1; and tweek things here
5 - cd; umount /mnt/vgxen/vm1
6 - kpartx -dv /dev/vgxen/vm1

So far so good.
And now here's my naive question.
What's the best way to clone this self-contained domU, and populate another, say, logical volume?

Some weeks ago, I played a bit with another guest installer, xen-strap. The goal was the same as stated in the beginning of this e-mail. This xen-strap does not create create a new partition inside the final container, which was a logical volume. It was easy to clone this LV. I used the same ideas as explained in the LVM manual (http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/LVM-HOWTO/snapshotintro.html) i.e., produced a clone of the LV, mounted it, tared the contents of the mounted clone device, and then dumped it to a new LV. And that was it.

I tried to do the same here for this vm1 domU, but after dumping the tar contents and booting the new box (vm2), I get a kernel panic. I understand that while with xen-strap installed OS to a domU without creating a partition, virt-install creates a partition. And thus in order to work/assess/manage/clone with this virt-install(ed) domU should be different.

I suppose theres's an easy way to produce a self-contained domU, without the need to actually have to create a new partition (say ext3) inside my LVM logical volume.

Best,
Nuno