[Xen-users] Mount CD ROM iso during kickstart postinstall

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Mount CD ROM iso during kickstart postinstall
From: "Mac McClellan" <mmcclellan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:08:56 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 09:04:00 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mount CD ROM iso during kickstart postinstall

CentOS 5.2 i386

I'm doing a xen virtual machine installation from a DVD iso image with a
kickstart file to set network and run scripts and such in the postinstall
section.

During the installation the DVD iso is listed as device /tmp/cdrom and mounted
on /mnt/source.  Once the installation is done and the post install starts the
/tmp/cdrom device is unmounted.

Part of my kickstart is copying certain files from the DVD iso to the installed
system but all attempts to re-mount the DVD fail.

/tmp/cdrom is gone once the postinstall portion of the install starts.  On a
real machine I've been able to re-mount the DVD in the postinstall using
/dev/cdrom or /dev/hdc but on this virtual machine it does not work.  It
complains of 'No medium found'.

A listing of /dev during the post install shows a valid device of /dev/hdc but
any attempts to mount it in the postinstall portion of kickstart results in 'No
medium found'.

After re-boot mounting the DVD iso image works with no problem using /dev/hdc

I need some way of mounting the DVD iso image during the postinstall of the
kickstart.

My config is as follows:

name = "yum"
uuid = "82983ffc-36d6-7272-4ce8-143a516142a7"
maxmem = 256
memory = 256
vcpus = 1
builder = "hvm"
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
boot = "c"
pae = 1
acpi = 1
apic = 1
localtime = 0
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "destroy"
on_crash = "restart"
device_model = "/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
sdl = 0
vnc = 1
vncunused = 1
disk = [ "file:/var/xen/images/yum.img,hda,w",
"file:/var/xen/images/yum-cd-10.06.09.iso,hdc:cdrom,r" ]
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:64:d3:aa,bridge=vnet1",
"mac=00:16:3e:13:e3:a1,bridge=virbr0" ]
serial = "pty"