Re: [Xen-users] xen build and tls

Tim Post wrote:
On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 10:31 +0000, John Haxby wrote:

Also ignore people telling you that modprobe and init are statically linked on CentOS, they're not.

Which version of CentOS?
The OP says "centos 5.2" which closely matches what I had. And I had exactly the same experience: the OS seemed very sluggish and that was fixed when I added the nosegneg stuff.
But for anyone else reading this in the archives -- remember that all of the above is CentOS/RHEL/Fedora specific: different distros do things differently.

And everyone uses RHEL/CentOS? Nobody uses Slackware? Search the
archives and you will find that this was indeed the case. Or must I boot
every distro since Xen 3.x and paste the output of ldd?

No, of course not. I do know, though that I had a lot of trouble tracking down the right solution to the problem for CentOS because the majority of the advice in the lists is to rename the /lib/tls directory or to get a special version of glibc. I knew that wasn't the case because, as luck would have it, I had a Fedora 8 machine with Xen installed on it and I hadn't had any of the problems that I was seeing with my build on CentOS 5.2. But, of course, the OP was (is) using CentOS 5.2.

The fact remains, the warning is safe to ignore.
That's quite true, although it is quite a nasty performance hit, at least on CentOS 5.2.

jch