Re: [Xen-users] Xen Networking advice - how to configure for DHCP to gue

To: "Dealy, Brian" <BRIAN.DEALY@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Networking advice - how to configure for DHCP to guests
From: Tim Post <echo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:06:57 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 22:07:47 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 19:56 -0800, Dealy, Brian wrote:

>  instead there is a xenbr0 bridge which appears to be handing my guest
> a 192.168.200.xxx address.  although this arrangement
>
> allows internet access, I really wanted this guest to have a
> 10.11.xx.xxx address from the local  dhcp
>
> server, like domain-0 has…

You can specify the guest MAC address (it will remain consistent), which
should allow you set your DHCP server configuration appropriately.

vif = ['bridge=xenbr0, mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX']

While the guests are sharing one enslaved device (in your case eth1),
they will not share the same MAC. Xenbr0 inherits the mac of the device
its enslaving .. but virtual interfaces start with a random MAC by
default.

Specifying these and keeping them persistent also helps cure issues with
some routers that are slow to ARP new changes by avoiding a new MAC upon
every start of the guest.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
--Tim