[Xen-users] Xen Networking advice - how to configure for DHCP to guests

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen Networking advice - how to configure for DHCP to guests
From: "Dealy, Brian" <BRIAN.DEALY@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:56:07 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 19:56:54 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,  (sorry if this is a duplicate.)

I am working on a project where I have a fedora-8 xen domain-0  which is booted and which I have a domU guest called

fguest1 booted on it.  virt-manager shows all is well except that I have a networking problem I didn’t expect.

both machines can access the network fine, but in my xend-config.sxp file I asked for bridged networking

which I assumed would allow the guest to get an address from our dhcp server…

 instead there is a xenbr0 bridge which appears to be handing my guest a 192.168.200.xxx address.  although this arrangement

allows internet access, I really wanted this guest to have a 10.11.xx.xxx address from the local  dhcp

server, like domain-0 has…

in my config I asked it to use:

(network-script ‘ network-bridge netdev=eth1’)

using one of the examples in the config file.

and

(vif-script vif-bridge) also from the config file…

Since I am new to the network with xen, I thought maybe

there is someone who could advise on the proper

networking setup to have each guest get its ip from

the local dhcp server.

thanks in advance. I did look in the FAQ for xen networking and it

seemed to me that this should be the right setup, but now I am wondering

if I misunderstand what it says.

fyi, I want it this way because I am trying to get to the guest consoles

remotely via vnc.  thanks.

Brian

Brian Dealy

Vice President - Technology