[Xen-users] Re: Xen, LVM and snapshots

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Xen, LVM and snapshots
From: Aleksandar Ivanisevic <aleksandar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:48:47 +0200
Cancel-lock: sha1:xQoDO+mJpkXqOvA6YYQ09KPYVd4=
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 03:49:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Morten W. Petersen" <morten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi :)
>
> We're considering using snapshots of LVM logical volumes as a backup
> feature, that is, having domU instances running on each of their own
> logical volume, and then in the dom0, create snapshots and take backups.
>
> Has anyone else tried this?  Is it safe?

It is safe, but be aware that the mere fact that you have a snapshot
active can slow down write speeds to the volume by a factor of 10.

I got bitten by this, but I also have DRBD in play, so I don't know
for sure if its a xem, drbd or lvm issue, or the interaction between
the three.

--
To sto si frustriran, zavidan tko zna na cemu i sto ne vidis dalje od
svoje guzice je tuzno. Da onda barem imas toliko samokontrole da