Re: [Xen-users] Xen+Vserver - How to use them together and what is the a

To: "Javier Guerra" <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen+Vserver - How to use them together and what is the advantages/disadvantages?
From: "Simon Gottschlag" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:42:07 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:42:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sweet, thanks for all the help!
I'm installing som vservers on my DomU right now and it looks like it works great.
I do really like all this stuff with virtual machines and what ever everything is called.
Found a guide how to install a vserver at howtoforge: http://howtoforge.com/linux_vserver_debian_etch
Thanks again!

- Simon

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Simon Gottschlag <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everybody! I'm quite new to Xen and I've been using a guide at
> howtoforge [1] (for debian etch) to install it.
> The thing there is that they use the xen-vserver package. And I've
> understood that Xen and Vserver are two different viritualization servers
> and I've also understood that they both have their advantages.

there are two totally different things that are sometimes called Vserver:

A: http://linux-vserver.org/   this is a kernel-level 'jail', much
like Virtuozzo/OpenVZ. (maybe they evolved from this, i'm not sure)

B: http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/  this isn't a virtualization
system at all, more like a load-balancer that creates a "virtual
server" from a bunch of machines.

the debian xen-vserver packages are the kernel images with both Xen
and vserver patches (it seems the A one) in theory you could use them
when you want to:

1) experiment with both, then pick one
2) use Xen hypervisor, run some DomU's, and some vserver jails on Dom0
3) as above, but use the same vserver-capable kernel on (some) DomU's,
run several vservers on each DomU.

option 3 doesn't sound bad, it might allow you to create more
instances than Xen alone, with very little extra overhead.

--
Javier