Re: [Xen-users] how to run fsck for a crashed domU?

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
Alexander Hoßdorf wrote:
Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
Alexander Hoßdorf wrote:
okay :-)
You're welcome!

you have already started your domU?!

You should return things the normal way before starting domU:

1. vgchange -an VolGroup00

2. kpartx -d /dev/loop4

3. losetup -d /dev/loop4

4. Start your domU

Of course you can simply pass this things, by restarting dom0.

Cheers,
Alex

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
Alexander Hoßdorf wrote:
Alexander Hoßdorf schrieb:
okay, then you have to activate them first.

vgchange -ay

After this you should be able to see them in /dev

Does this work for you?

Cheers,
Alex

YES!!! :)

Thank you, you're a star. There was a LOT of corrupt files to fix,which was fixed, and the VPS is up again. I need to restore some backups, but at least most of it is up again.

Thank you very much
Sadly though, I can't login to the VPS, the root password doesn't work, and there's many errors all the way long. So, it seems like this attempted fix was a loss after all.

Hmm it seems that something destroyed your Filesystem so bad, that e2fsck couldn't fix this.
Just for interest...
What was the reason that your Filesystem was destroyed?
Was there anything strange?

Cheers,
Alex

Power failure. The UPS power strip that the server was one, burnt out. And I only have one PSU on it, so the sudden loss of power corrupted the HDD, and the VM's partition as well.

But it's working now again. I had to update some software, and fix a few user's home folders, but now it's working :)

okay, so you got your own little worst case recovery trip ;-)
if you have SATA disks you should also lookout for a headcrash and have an eye on S.M.A.R.T Status. I always backup my VM's for private use on an usb disk, thats cheap and reliable.