Re: [Xen-users] how to run fsck for a crashed domU?

To: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to run fsck for a crashed domU?
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:13:46 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:14:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Grant McWilliams wrote:

    ----snip-----
    Setting up Logical Volume Management:   2 logical volume(s) in
    volume group "VolGroup00" now active
    [  OK  ]
    Checking filesystems
    Checking all file systems.
    [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 contains a file system with errors, check
    forced.
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00: Inode 67830 has illegal block(s).

    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
           (i.e., without -a or -p options)
    [FAILED]

    *** An error occurred during the file system check.
    *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
    *** when you leave the shell.

    ----snip-----

    So, how can I run fsck on that file system?

    I have tried to mount /home/vm/vm01.img - but it fails:

    # mount -o loop /home/vm/vm01.img /mnt/vm01/
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type

--
    Kind Regards
    Rudi Ahlers

Am I missing something? It seems like people like making things more complicated than they are. What's stopping you from doing an fsck from the console within the DomU just like if it were a real machine? It dropped you to a shell so just run fsck on it manually.

Grant McWilliams
It doesn't allow you to access the shell. The moment it bumps into the error, the domU shuts down.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other