Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] State of Xen in upstream Linux

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] State of Xen in upstream Linux
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:39:54 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:40:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu July 31 2008 1:54:38 pm Grant McWilliams wrote:
> > Fedora 9's kernel-xen package has been based on the mainline kernel from
> >
>  > the outset, but it is still packaged as a separate kernel.  kernel-xen
>  > has been dropped from rawhide (what will become Fedora 10), and all Xen
>  > support - both 32 and 64 bit - has been rolled into the main kernel
>  > package.
>
> Does this mean in the future all Fedora kernels will be Xen kernels? Is
> this wise? If I try to run VirtualBox on a Xen kernel the machine will
> reboot. If the Vbox module is loaded at runtime it will reboot forever.
> Yes, I know it's a Vbox issue but what about KVM. Can we run KVM on a Xen
> kernel?
>
> Or am I reading this completely wrong?

I'd imagine this is a question for the kernel dev guys. Linus seemed to think
it wouldn't be a conflict, especially since xen still has to be enabled in the
kernel config. Various distros may still provide two different kernels if they
deem it necessary, regardless of what Fedora does.

(In fact, this is what F8 & F9 do now - the xen kernel doesn't just have all
the xen features besides the subset offered by pvops: the non-xen kernel
doesn't even have xen enabled. In my tests with Fedora 2.6.25, you have to
enable xen, set xen_netfront and xen_blkfront to modules from builtin, and try
to boot off the vmlinux file (which has elf extensions) instead of the vmlinuz
file, and it still won't boot - around the time it loads xen_blkfront, just
before mounting root.)