Re: [Xen-users] SMP enabled Dom0 or not?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] SMP enabled Dom0 or not?
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:01:07 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 07:01:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sunday June 22 2008 06:22:37 am Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Different distributions follow different conventions. I personally
> *loathe* putting thing in rc.local, because then you can't select to run
> it all by itself, and it's not easy to enable or disable it without
> directly editing a default system file. I prefer using /etc/init.d and
> scripts there, with chkconfig if available, to control when something
> runs and in what order relative to other tools.

Agreed. If I absolutely have to control the order, I'll modify a template for
a service, complete with the info chkconfig needs. (This varies by distro,
but for Redhat type distros, a comment near the top does the trick, eg: '#
chkconfig: 2345 20 80', which is what I had to use to get antivir to play
nice. Chkconfig chokes unless all the comments in the block between '#
chkconfig:' to '# description:' are present.)

However, rc.local runs as /etc/rc5.d/S99local (substitute your runlevel) with
no corresponding K (kill or stop) link, and as such is meant to run after all
other services have started. W/o a K link, you don't *have* to be rigorous
about writing a full init.d style script, but nothing is stopping you from
doing so. I use it to correct flaws in the default order of starting
services. (I wouldn't want to modify the default scripts themselves, as they
can get overwritten by an update.) Eg - on Redhat style distros, my virus
checker, antivir, needs a kernel module, dazuko, that can't be loaded at the
same time as the 'capability' module, which is required for proper service
startup. Also, wireless cards won't init properly w/wpa2 encryption, since
at 'network' script run time, 'wpa_supplicant' is not running. YMMV.