Re: [Xen-users] Dedicate NIC's to domU's

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dedicate NIC's to domU's
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:44:26 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:45:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday June 18 2008 03:36:28 pm Hans Pfeil wrote:
> Xen = Xen 3.0
> OS = Sles 10.1
> NICs = 2, Broadcom's embedded and 2-quad port Intel nics, total of 10 on
> the machine.  In YAST I selected NONE for each of the Intel NIC's.  This
> was so domO would not see it.  Was this correct?

No. If you were doing PCI passthrough, it would be correct. The devices should
not be initialized or kernel modules loaded for passthrough.

You are just doing xen bridging. All your eth{n} devices should be initialized
before xend starts, so it can use them in your wrapper scripts.

> # brctl show
> bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
> xenbr0          8000.000000000000       no
> xenbr1          8000.feffffffffff       no              vif0.1
>                                                         peth1
> xenbr2          8000.000000000000       no
> xenbr3          8000.000000000000       no

As you can see, the only bridge with a physical nic on it is xenbr1 - it has
peth1 - and will be the only bridge that can talk to the outside world, or
wherever that card is cable to.

Your wrapper script is correct for xen 3.0. The problem is device
initialization before the xend service starts. Go back to YaST and set
everything up.