Re: [Xen-users] VNC server not launching

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VNC server not launching
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:10:40 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:11:15 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday April 07 2008 01:32:20 pm Michael Brancato wrote:
> I'm trying to launch a pvm SXDE machine.  I recently upgraded to 3.2 via
> the Ubuntu Hardy packages and now I can't seem to get vnc to launch.
>
> I want VNC to launch a server after boot but I'm currently stuck with
> using the text console.  I have tried using vnc=1 as before, but there
> are no vnc related log entries in xend.log to help me figure out why the
> vnc server is not launching.  I have the libvncserver libraries, etc
> installed.
>
> Using vnc=1 and vncviewer=1 launches vncviewer with -listen but the
> server never starts so vncviewer never launches a display.
>
> I wanted to see if there are some common solutions that might work for
> this.  If not then I can post entries from the xend.log, etc.  But so
> far there are no errors being reported in xend.conf.  The domain
> launches fine, but no VNC server is launched.

I think you mean no vnc *viewer* is automatically launched. The server is
built in to "qemu-dm -M xenpv ..."/xen-vncfb, etc. I've had a similar problem
on fedora 8 with PV guests since xen 3.1.2. Hvm guests launch a viewer
automatically, PV guests do not, regardless of the vnc/vncunused/vncdisplay
vars. However, the domain is running (see xm list) - I just have to connect a
viewer manually on the expected port. If you don't know what port to expect,
do a 'virsh dumpxml domainname', and look at the port= value in
the 'graphics' stanza.