Re: [Xen-users] No shared physical device in virt-manager

 wrote on Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:56:37 -0500:

> For the installation, I followed the redhat PDF on setting up xen
> doms and guests.  I downloaded (via yum) the xen and virt-manager
> packages that are "native" to RH.
>
> When I try and create a new guest it seems to work fine until I get
> to the networking devices.  When I tried using a virtual adapter
> instead of a shared physical

Ahm, yes, I think this happens already with RH/CentOS 5.1, not with Xen
3.2. I mixed that up. See http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2516 for a
patch. This will help you with new VMs.

> it comes up as a 192.168.122.0/24 subnet.
>  I am able to ping and communicate using the virtual adapter,
> but if I try and change the virtual devices IP to anything other than
> the 192.168.122.0 subnet, no communication occurs.

libvirtd/dnsmasq get installed with 5.1. That combination provides DHCP
and virtual networking for this subnet over a bridge called virbr0. You
can just disable libvirtd (which also disables dnsmasq) if you want to use
static ip addresses.
Then simply change the vif lines in your existing VM config files to use
the "xenbr0" bridge instead of "virbr0". Configure the static IP *in* your
VM like normal.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany