RE: [Xen-users] Convert CentOS system to Xen image?

To: "James Pifer" <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Igor Chubin" <igor@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Convert CentOS system to Xen image?
From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:19:19 -0400
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 06:19:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James Pifer wrote:
> Attempted to do this using netcat + ssh and here's my next problem. The
> CentOS server is using LVM, so instead of getting an img file of around
> 8 gig that I expected, I got one that is 18 gig, or the size of the LV.
>
> I tried it anyway and I get a valid boot sector not found.
>
> Any suggestions?

Don't do netcat, create a fresh PV with the same installed packages
as on the old machine and copy the configuration of the old server
that is pertinent. You could look at creating a kickstart file to
have those packages installed during the initial install, or just
install base/core and add in by hand the missing packages via yum.

For data partitions like /home you can do a dump, sftp, and restore.

-Ross