Re: [Xen-users] domU's overloaded

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU's overloaded
From: n8&abby <thoughtobject@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:01:08 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:01:42 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=oDe3acyaWFfPY0BhVUQIztee1BYyzxlDGYniN9SpprY=; b=rFktYSUtz3+AECaxgfn1kZwJls6BU1ZxruJCogJdSU9y1O3W37yI4XfU7d7QIGr/MT//r7DhKaxYWkUIxMNSeA1eBkuCfi6zCK0pZjRq6Fde3Vyi7XVLvdejxKUQ+YCa1sgdmfidUUes4KRbHxzxisQlC+pxL/Frgc5r7BoeWGk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  If you want to put 100 general purpose servers on 1 piece of
>  hardware I suggest you look into a lot more than 4 disks, and
>  probably look at 10kRPM 2.5" SAS as well, as opposed to what I am
>  guessing are commodity 7200RPM 3.5" SATA disks.
>
>  Check the iowait % in your domains and dom0 - if it is more than a
>  few percent then it's IO you are needing i.e. more disks.  I always
>  run out of IO before CPU or RAM too, it's pretty common.

Thanks for all the great replies on this, very helpful.  Turns out the
iowait on some domUs are higher than 50%.  This makes sense since most
of what these domU's are doing is serving very large files.

For the next system I am building this week, I'm looking into multiple
disks on the physical server.  I will probably start with 16x 7200rpm
SATA.

However, we will be building many more of these and I am wondering
what other systems are in common use.  Is there a straightforward way
that to set this up in bulk?  Should I be looking into some type NFS
or NAS/SAN?  I don't have experience setting up anything but drives on
the local physical server, but I can learn whatever I need to.  What
is the Xen way for large storage needs with lots and lots of domU's?

Thanks,
-=nathan