RE: [Xen-users] domU's overloaded

To: "n8&abby" <thoughtobject@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] domU's overloaded
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:54:44 +1100
Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:55:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have between 35 and 40 domU's on the same box running the same
> applications and each requiring moderate load.  Each have between 150
> to 512 megs of ram and 50Gb disk space.  These domU's have really
> become sluggish, even adding a large amount of memory helps only a
> small amount.  This may be normal for a system with this many domU's,
> but I'm not really sure how to tell.

High CPU workloads (I'm assuming that's what you mean) don't virtualise
particularly well. The advantage of virtualisation is that you get to
consolidate workloads which are underutilising their current environment
into a single environment. If all your DomU's want to use 100% CPU and
you are putting them on a quad core box, then you are going to hit the
wall at 4 DomU's.

> Secondly, I will be purchasing 2 servers this next week.  I was
> wondering if anyone had suggestions about hardware for comfortably
> running up to 100 domU's per server.

It depends :)

If all of your 100 domU's are going to sit at an average of 50% CPU,
then you need 50 cores. It may still be cheaper to buy a 50 core box
than 6 x 8 core boxes though...

A HP DL580G5 with 16 cores, 64GB of RAM, and ~1TB of RAID5 disk will set
you back about AUD$50K.

James