Re: [Xen-users] conversion between Full-virtualization and Para-virtuali

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "HA" <jiecho@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] conversion between Full-virtualization and Para-virtualization
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:18:50 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:19:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
There are several things you need to check.  First, I'm going to assume you're running Linux as your guest O/S.  If this is not the case, please respond with the O/S and version you're using.  If you are using Linux, check the following:
1) In your guest config file on dom0, you need to switch your disk devices from IDE to xvd*.  So, if you have a line that specifies a local volume as hda in your config file, change this to xvda.  hdb -> xvdb, etc.
2) You need to specify the correct root device in your config file for the domU.  This is done with root= in the file.  If your previous root device was hda1, your root line would say root="/dev/xvda1 ro" or something similar.
3) You need to make sure that the kernel either has the Xen virtual block device module built in or that you create an initrd for your guest with this module.  You also need to transfer the kernel and initrd into your dom0 so that you can put the kernel= and ramdisk= lines in your config file.
4) Finally, you need to change /etc/fstab to point to your new root device, e.g. /dev/xvda1.

It would also be really helpful if you'd post the error you're getting.  Just telling us that, "it fails to boot" isn't very descriptive.

-Nick

>>> On 2008/03/18 at 10:39, "HA" <jiecho@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,All,

I installed a guest os with full-virtualization and a local volume as the disk,
now becuase of poor performance,
I want to change the full-virtualization guest to para-virtualization,
so I just changed the config file to boot the guest os with para-virtualization,
but it fails to boot.
but how can I convert the full-virtualization guest to para-virtualization without reinstall the os,on other hands,can I convert a para-virtualization to full-virtualization in xen?
are there any suggestion?many thanks!

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.