Re: [Xen-users] VMWare vs. Xen, is the conflict by VMware deliberate?

To: xen list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VMWare vs. Xen, is the conflict by VMware deliberate?
From: Evan Lavelle <sa212+xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:02:28 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:03:06 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

So, I tried running VMWare Workstation on top of a Xen enabled Dom0. And VMWare promptly started up with a "You're running a Xen Hypervisor! Bad sys-geek, no biscuit! We're taking our start-up tool and going home, p-b-b-b-b-b-b-t-h!"

Is this a well-founded refusal to start on their part, perhaps due to kernel behavior conflicts? Or is this an anti-competitive move, to avoid being able to run VMware Workstation on Xen Dom0's and force people to select VMWare only?

No idea. But, I'm curious. What makes VMWare think that anyone's going to take them seriously after seeing error messages like that one? Do they actually review their code before selling it to anybody?

Evan