Re: [Xen-users] Emulating Multiple NIC cards on Guests

To: Ian Marlier <ian.marlier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Emulating Multiple NIC cards on Guests
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:18:49 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:49:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Marlier wrote:

On 2/12/08 7:26 AM, "Viswanath T K" <viswanath.t@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi
I tried out whatever you have and others have suggested but nothing has
worked out yet.

I shall elaborate on the steps I have undertaken on Fedora x86 64bit.

1.  Installed xen, kernel-xen , virt-manager
2.  Rebooted on xen kernel.
3.  I have 3 NIC cards and for all of them I have assigned Static IPs.
4.  When I do an ifconfig I get details of eth0,1,2 ,lo and virbr0. I
dont see xenbr0.
5.  Are virbr0 & xenbr0 the same ?
6.  I dont see any file in /etc/xen/<guest name> so as to add vif=[], Is
this file auto-generated when we create a guest using virt-manager.

7.  I created a file in /etc/xen/<guest name> named guest1 and edited
vif as you have mentioned and created guest using "xm create -c <guest
name>
This also failed giving the error, "Device 0  cannot be connected.Hot
plug scripts failed ( I dont remember the exact error )"

Help is needed on this.

Thanks
Viswanath

Have you gotten to the point that you have multiple bridges configured?

`ip addr`, or `ifconfig`, should show you three bridges -- without them,
you're not going to be able to create the three interfaces.

I run on opensuse, not Fedora, but I think it's a fair bet that virbr0 and
xenbr0 are two names for the same thing.

Nops, xenbr0 is the bridge device to which you bridge peth0 (which is the renamed name for eth0) and vif<domid>.x interfaces. So this means that a client connected to xenbr0 can directly connect to the external network.

virbr0 bridge just includes only the vif<domid>.x from all guests bridged to it. So it can't connect to the external network unless you enable natting and IP forwarding in Dom0.

Both xenbr0 and virbr0 is to enable virtual networking for guests, but using slightly different methods.

--Sadique
 Taking a look at the
network-bridge script in /etc/xen/scripts/ will tell you, I think.