Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.2 and AMD IOMMU

To: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.2 and AMD IOMMU
From: Age_M <Age_M@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:23:37 +0200
Cc: XEN User - listmembers <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:25:04 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Stephan,

as far as I know, there is no IOMMU available yet [1]. I have an AMD X2 3600+ CPU but IOMMU is disabled. My system uses swiotlb instead [2]. I searched a lot and all I could find is, that IOMMU will be available in 2009. But I don't know if it is a CPU or Chipset feature!?

Greetz Holger

[1]
deedee ~ # xm dmesg |grep -i iommu
(XEN) AMD IOMMU: Disabled

[2]
deedee ~ # dmesg |grep -i swiotlb
PCI-DMA: Using software bounce buffering for IO (SWIOTLB)

Stephan Seitz schrieb:
Hi there,

my recent work with Xen has only been done on Intel Platforms. Here VT-d feature has to be enabled via a
vtd=1 entry at boot time.
This weekend i've got access to some brandnew AMD powered machines, so I'm going to try the IOMMU stuff. Does someone know if this feature is detected in Xen 3.2 by default or are some settings / boot-options
necessary to get pciback hardware redirection available to HVM guests?

Thanks for any response!

Cheers,

Stephan