[Xen-users] Routed dom0 setup problem -- second time around

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Routed dom0 setup problem -- second time around
From: Rich Wales <richw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:00:15 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:01:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm still having problems getting a new Xen system to work properly in
a "routed" configuration.

I thought I had it figured out a few days ago, but when I couldn't get
the Shorewall firewall application to work properly, it became evident
that my Xen configuration was seriously messed up and that I really
needed to start over with the networking from scratch.

I'm running Xen 3.1 / Ubuntu 7.10 (kernel = 2.6.22-14-xen).  Here's my
current xend-config.sxp file:

(xen-api-server ((unix)))
(xend-http-server yes)
(xend-unix-server yes)
(xend-relocation-server no)
(xend-port 8000)
(xend-address '')
(xend-relocation-hosts-allow '')
(network-script 'network-route netdev=dmz0')
(vif-script vif-route)
(dom0-min-mem 196)
(dom0-cpus 0)
(vncpasswd '')

My plan is to have my domU's operate in a subnet (172.31.53.0/24) that
is in use by a network card which I've assigned the name "dmz0" (using
an entry in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to name the NIC).

Xen comes up OK, and the dom0 appears fine (using 384M of RAM).  Just
to confirm that I'm not accidentally constructing a bridged/routed
hodgepodge configuration, I did "brctl show", which showed that NO
network interfaces were assigned to ANY bridges.

The next thing I tried to do was to launch a domU, using the following
configuration file:

kernel      = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-xen'
ramdisk     = '/boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-xen'
memory      = '512'
root        = '/dev/hda1 ro'
disk        = [ 'phy:vg1/wonttell-disk,hda1,w',
                'phy:vg1/wonttell-swap,hda2,w' ]
name        = 'wonttell'
vif         = [ 'mac=ee:01:72:31:53:05, ip=172.31.53.5, vifname=eth3' ]
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'
extra       = 'xencons=tty'

However, when I do an "xm create" with the above configuration, it fails
without any intelligible error message anywhere.  /var/log/daemon.log has
some comments about "vif-route failed; error detected", but nary a clue
as to what kind of error is happening.

I'm reasonably confident that most of the above domU configuration is OK,
since when I was doing a (sort of) bridged network setup (and naming a
"bridge" in the "vif" line instead of a "vifname"), the domU came up and
seemed to work OK (except that its networking was messed up in some way
that gave Shorewall heartburn and made it impossible for me to set up my
firewalling properly).

I haven't been able to find very much comprehensible documentation about
Xen networking, so I realize I could easily be missing some subtle point.
Does anyone see anything obviously wrong with the above configuration?
What should I try next, or what additional info should I post?

--
Rich Wales      ===      Palo Alto, CA, USA      ===     richw@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.richw.org   ===   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Richwales