Re: [Xen-users] Windows guest accelerated 3d?

To: Gryffus <gryffus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows guest accelerated 3d?
From: "David Stone" <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 14:01:29 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:02:29 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=/INLWcBQksODVtw9ZKgYUAwlsy7sMZkPNx1DOzyarv8=; b=CVyQ2DR27aw2HaUNq+CDtyO3t3lJ/OJeq5Vkz1Wl/TgCAVaa0nxAGG1R8utuZR6hlsjHs32OffgRXv0U4rLM1qAfd4dc8uEYx8Xju3uQN5IUjt4bBLqB/mY5iYFKG0hEjJGQnG17lEejKjbsn4GL4U93vtLlVdujiCUQBWRqrG0=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've also been trying to get hardware-accelerate Direct3D to work in a
(Windows) DomU.  Here's where I'm at:

 - I have a machine with a VT-D IOMMU (Dell Optiplex 755).
 - I'm using various Xen builds from xen-unstable.
 - I've verified that (for certain builds) Xen's VT-D support is
working for me.  I used a NIC PCI device (for a couple of reasons) as
a test of VT-D/Xen, and it works...I can see the actual NIC in Windows
2003 DomU's Device Manager (not an emulated NIC nor a PV driver), and
it interacts with the network fine.  Furthermore I can RDP into the
Windows DomU (which is important because I want to pass the graphics
card through to the DomU)
 - The next step was to try passing the PCI Express graphics card (an
ATI) through to the Windows DomU.
 - My machine also has an integrated GPU, but the BIOS won't let me
boot with it as the primary display device...
 - In order to save my graphics card for my Windows DomU,  I tell
various components (grub, Xen kernel, Linux kernel) to use the serial
port instead of the graphics card.  I also pciback.hide the PCI
Express graphics card from Dom0 (just as I hid the PCI NIC).  When
booting up Xen/Dom0 the all I see on the monitor is the BIOS spash
screen, "Grub Loading Stage2...", and after that just a black screen
with a blinking cursor in the upper-left corner.  Everything else
starting with the Grub selection screen is through the serial port.
 - I start up my Windows DomU.  For now the intent is to RDP into it
and see if Windows sees the graphics card I passed through to it or
not.  (As stated above, this works fine if I don't try to pass through
the graphics card)  But, after may 20 seconds (about the time it takes
the Windows DomU to fully boot up normally), my physical machine
hangs.  The last thing is just an open-parenthesis on the serial
console (where I have Xen directing it's output)...I presume it is the
beginning of a message from Xen that is related to the hang, because I
don't see any such message normally.

I'm going to post some questions to xen-devel about this...I'm not
sure if passing PCI Express devices through to DomU via VT-D is even
supported...