Re: [Xen-users] Running network services on Dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Running network services on Dom0
From: marcus <marcus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:23:51 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:24:36 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tom Lobato schrieb:

Hello Sadique,

ok, I understand the security motivation.
With Linux really has no problem in running as domU, but I made some
tests with win2003 on xen and noted that free vmware server is faster.
So, I'm thinking about use vmware. I really would like to use Xen,
because it is real free software and I like so, but I must to deliver
best performance to my customer.

I read about virtualization and para-virtualization. As I understood,
the full virtualization that Xen does with Windows is not yet so fast,
because it lacks free PV drivers. Is there any optimization to try? I'm
already running win2003 on a separate partition (/dev/sda6, a sata raid1
device). I use debian etch and xen 3.0 from debian repositories.

Thank you!

Tom Lobato

Sadique Puthen escreveu:
Tom Lobato wrote:

Is it a good way to run common network services on dom0 (proxy-cache, dababase), beyond manage domU's ?

As far as security is concerned,  NO. Have them on domus

--Sadique

   Tom Lobato

Hi,

I think there is no optimazation method available for using windows with xen. The only thing which i heard is, that microsoft will do something for xen users. But I dont know when or what the consequences of the project will be. Maybe special windows versions or only some drivers..goodness knows :).

Marcus

--
Marcus Herz
IT-Infrastructure