Re: [Xen-users] How to make KDE or Gnome available in DomU?

To: kanour-xen <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to make KDE or Gnome available in DomU?
From: "Emre Erenoglu" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:16:02 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:16:58 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=nHwSwi7D8igvFiYUdZafgkR+bZXZEXVRcqiXiX/B6cY=; b=VBk1eEVIfPcuo8SPRAMZkwOUadl3eykhAiA8A+DnYWWWvklcM+WCFvb3auFXdD3tE2io2CmH1I0kx0aRPHYDvHUg9Pn3L5LSTd17LUof8BSfXN4nblrEAiJC7pSJOcFB8FAeUvuk4lYCUhW9eGJEkW+nQDtFLqPZET+MegbmrUw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jiri,

Is your domU HVM or Paravirtual? If HVM, you will have an emulated video card and you need to configure your xorg-server to work with this card. Next, you will need to connect it through SDL or VNC. You choose this method in your domU configuration file (SDL=1, VNC=1).

If SDL, you'll have an immediate window when you start your DomU.

If VNC, you'll need to connect to localhost with a VNC client. The port that you need to connect is 5900 + ID_of_DomU  (you can find the ID from xm list command output, or do a netstat -a to see listening ports 59xx)

If you have a Paravirtual DomU, then, you either have a "Framebuffer" in your DomU kernel that Xorg can start on (and then you'll see the output again with SDL or VNC), or you can use some other method, such as using
- vnc based xorg server,
- NX
- using XDMCP and accessing the host Xorg

Good luck!

Emre