Re: [Xen-users] Slackware 12 DomU NIC increments on each start

To: "Xen list" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Slackware 12 DomU NIC increments on each start
From: "Florian Heigl" <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 01:22:24 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:23:06 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=Vjif2D1cTESHIJYsnt4JJG8N/6G+ubLTB+DxRq+nV6E=; b=QRCYuPWhV8CDVVSFGa2FRFPQz4xhqYBfpJSbhlaeVnjwGgLT1xyAETZ0VwiDowb/G/fRB03dEz/kFIs1QqNMIKIKbKlI/H1syOAzbOYTaydXel1lgi2mNjI+EAsg8TEI3yv/iVEC5J2np0ONK1ypF+yiPxumC/5gD4ep/+QCGSo=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Another try...
please note i do not intent to offend single people giving the below
advice, but just try to wake up the hand-typing mac=xx:xx: fraction of
xen gurus on this list. The very question below has probably come up
dozens to hundreds of times over the last years and I feel sad a large
number of people still thinks it's a good thing to live with.[1]

2007/11/23, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri November 16 2007 8:21:58 am Russell Packer wrote:
> > So - I have a Slackware 12.0 system running. I used rsync to copy the
> > system over to a partition on an already running Xen system with several
> > guests running. I just copied everything over apart from /proc and /sys.
> > I used my standard, "nothing special" Xen configuration file - pretty
> > much all the default settings (vif = [ '' ], etc) apart from I change
> > which disk partition I'm going to run from. Simple enough.
>
> As mentioned by other knowledgeable people on this list, try assigning a mac
> address to your virtual card: vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx,
> script=vif-whatever, bridge = your-choice' ] .

...There's about 20 auto-assignment scripts floating
And some people found the guid/mac-querying from xm list --long and
hacked something around that.

But what's it with understanding that 20 different wheels will never
run as smooth as 4 round ones?

This is a functionality best placed with Xen
- as half of it is already there
- as xend is the best thing to query other members in
clustered/load-balanced setups
- as there is NO point in everyone being asked to handle it manually
or hack scripts
- as it will save time for everyone.

Please try to see my point, there are some people trying to use Xen
for more than a dev box and I'm getting really desparate seeing how a
load of topics for advanced deployment are generally being put off,
just because it [editing by hand] works nicely while you only handle
3-20 domUs, plus it's even a waste of energy for one single domU.
And I don't think pointing yet another person at a hack (manually
setting MAC or having a script autoincrement it) that had already
grown a beard when Xen 2.0.1 was still hot makes any sense.

Florian

[1] Yes... I know a lunatic was defined as a minority of one.

--
'Sie brauchen sich um Ihre Zukunft keine Gedanken zu machen'