Re: [Xen-users] Slackware 12 DomU NIC increments on each start

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Slackware 12 DomU NIC increments on each start
From: "Florian Heigl" <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 06:01:58 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 21:02:41 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=anr3/M7UG9ObkgqKjGkdB/kp8ELbgMAzmkMpq75Uz60=; b=KjNrvXH6Y2QpgX88IsOomLNvS4DEaxLzAurAmM8cpLpa17ekXj9XIlUQuOpIxRvYTtBrdtBpUb5isVl1+NWQlP24vZ0f8gSCRFiFRKoQzIrWacOxBmFonJsiQH/W4Ta4vA9GN9KZj2lkpuSxzNWLIinktRs2Wy4rUJ4eB3q+rG8=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

just a little proposal ;)

2007/11/16, Tom Brown <xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Steve Kemp wrote:
>
> > On Fri Nov 16, 2007 at 13:21:58 -0000, Russell Packer wrote:
> >
> >> The problem is that networking doesn't work properly. Each time I
> >> shutdown and restart, the NIC increments... eth0, eth1, eth2... I'm on
> >> eth12 right now! Once the system starts I can use ifconfig & route to
> >> assign an IP and a default gateway, and I get a network connection.
> >> Weird stuff.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any ideas what is going on / what I need to do? I just
> >> want my nice eth0...
> >
> >  This is almost certainly udev being "helpful".
>
> I suspect it's kudzu ... which IMHO is not really appropriate on domUs and
> should be disabled, but I don't like/trust automagic... With kudzu turned
> off (chkconfig kudzu off) and making sure there is no MAC= line in your
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file, you should be ok even if
> the mac address is changing.... at least this is true for my old and new
> redhat based systems. -Tom

I posted about this like half a year ago, and still think it would be
the best if there was
some xen magic to save back the GUID and MAC autogenerated on first
startup into the
domU config.
it might not be the right way to mess with the domU conf file, but
maybe someone has a more elegant idea, still it'd be best if they only
got auto-generated once and be committed "somewhere" automatically.
back on Xen2 i still generated the MAC addresses manually, but ever
since a valid mac specification is valid people trip over this as it
just seems unnatural *unless* you know how xen currently handles it. I
think in the long run it'd be better to handle it the way anyone would
expecpt it. "if it can generate it, then why can't it remember it?"

florian

--
'Sie brauchen sich um Ihre Zukunft keine Gedanken zu machen'