Re: [Xen-users] Memory Sizing Guidelines

To: Christian Horn <chorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Memory Sizing Guidelines
From: Paul Waldo <pwaldo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 07:27:35 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 04:27:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christian Horn wrote:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 09:46:36AM -0400, Paul Waldo wrote:

I have searched in vain on google for tips on memory sizing but have had
no luck.  What are the guidelines for allocating memory amongst the Dom0
and the DomUs?

dom0: advises range from reserving 128MB to 512MB if you arent running heavy
	applications in dom0 (which should be moved into domUs).
domU: The kernel and applications running there handle memory as they do
	on usual servers, so size as usual here, mainly depending on the
	applications you will run.

As an example, I have a Xen server that has 2 GB memory.  I want to
create 2 DomUs.  If these were standalone machines, 1GB each would be
fine.  How would I partition this memory under Xen?

256MB for dom0, rest split up for the 2 domU would be my guess.

Christian

Thanks for the reply, Christian.  The only services I plan on running on dom0 are ones that support the domU, so it should be pretty light.  I guess the main issue is disk caching.  Linux uses free memory to cache disk, so where should that happen, the dom0 or the domU?

Paul