[Xen-users] Xen with NIC Bonding on Debian Etch ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen with NIC Bonding on Debian Etch ?
From: Artur Mücke <muecke@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:51:53 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 04:52:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi guys,

I am trying to get bonding work on a debian etch system. I searched
already in the mailing list but unfortunately I couldnt find a proper
solution. This is what i did so far.

- Installed Debian Etch on my server
- Installed the following packages for using Xen from the Debian repository:

xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-i386-pae
linux-image-2.6.18-5-xen-686
linux-image-2.6.18-5-xen-686
xen-tools
libc6-xen
bridge-utils

- Setup bonding like this:

/etc/modprobe.d/arch/i386
=========================
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=6 miimon=50

/etc/network/interfaces
=======================
auto eth0 eth1

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
      address 10.3.4.2
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      network 10.3.4.0
      broadcast 10.3.4.255
      gateway 10.3.4.1
      up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth0
      down /sbin/ifenslave -d bond0 eth0

Everything is working fine so far. To get bonding (kind of) working with
xen I read the following howto:

http://vandelande.com/guides/howto%20setup%20XEN%20using%20network%20bonding%20on%20SLES10.html

I took the posted script and saved is as
/etc/xen/scripts/network-bonding-bridge

If I run the script the according devices are created.

So far so good.

The next I created a domU. My setup is quit simple:

kernel  = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-xen-686'
ramdisk = '/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-5-xen-686'
memory  = '256'
root    = '/dev/sda1 ro'
disk    =
['phy:/dev/sda8,sda1,w','phy:/dev/sda9,sda2,w','phy:/dev/sda10,sda3,w' ]
name    = 'vm_mydomU'

vif=[ 'ip=10.3.4.3' ]
dhcp="off"
netmask='255.255.255.000'
gateway='10.3.4.1'

If I start the domU there are no error-messages at all. The connection
works for a (very) short while. For example if I send a ping to a random
host (internal or external), the connection works for around 5 or 6
ICMP-message-replies. Then the connection brakes down. Kind of the same
problem was already described on the list in the following post:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2007-04/msg00236.html

Unfortunately nobody answered. :-/

I hope someone got bonding to work with xen and could describe me what I
am doing wrong.

Would be glad to get some help.

Cheers,

Artur

--
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary
math, and those who don't."