Re: [Xen-users] Purchasing only the Windows PV drivers for Xen

To: "Tomasz Chmielewski" <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Purchasing only the Windows PV drivers for Xen
From: "Emre Erenoglu" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 15:02:56 +0200
Cc: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 06:03:29 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=AykEcrYzWkEhwTOUXjQqAUm7s9NFCC7kEPUss42+fpk=; b=t6cvdwiHbePkqUG+1ZlpOkfo9AUDJOGkBjZGL1icCG/YHMyibdPa226tgbWMZKmHTfiuL4kQeAIFT1rOXKibiIS+tckMMrf1AttR7Jcmj2Kf2rRltFq3nq/t5JDfxbV+gmKJ8QdndgXfDBs11CuDYm11erd9C30mp/zuTeLbnTY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK, maybe I expressed it wrong. First of all, I'm a home-user, and don't have the budget to spend on the PV drivers.

and yes, we have XenExpress, but this release wants to wipe-out my entire disk just to install itself. Does Vmware server do that? never seen. Just installs on a system that "you have setup".

Maybe I should say, then, "I want to be able to setup xenexpress on a system that I previously set-up myself, if possible even choosing my own distribution".

Other than that, I'm perfectly OK with Xen, using it since 2.0 builds, but this PV driver issue really drives me towards Vmware.

Br,

Emre

On 9/7/07, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Emre Erenoglu schrieb:
> I really don't understand how Xensource can't give the PV drivers for
> everybody without any charge or whatsoever. Don't they want their
> product to concuer the virtualization world? How will they do it without
> taking Windows into the picture?

That's not true what you're saying.

> Look at VMWare, they perfectly deliver the Vmware Server, and yes, you
> get the drivers with it.
> What keeps Xensource from providing these to us?

Same is with XenSource - just download XenExpress, it's something
comparable to VMware server, and like its competitor, it includes
paravirtual Windows drivers.

What some of us want though, are PV Windows drivers that could work with
Xen built from sources. These drivers don't have to be free, and some of
us would be glad to pay for them.

> BTW, I tried setting up XenExpress, no luck until now, can't get some
> sata drivers to work.

Yet another reason why someone would like to pay just for PV drivers,
but not for the whole XenServer / XenEnterprise / SLES / whatever.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

--